Here are some of the reasons that Joe Scheidler, National Director and Founder of the Pro-Life Action League, is hailed by many as a pro-life hero:
• Joe has been there right from the beginning… In 1973, he founded the Chicago Office for Pro-Life Publicity, believing that the American people would rise up in opposition to abortion once they saw the scientific proof of the humanity of the unborn child. But when confronted by widespread apathy about the injustice of abortion, Joe turned to more creative strategies, launching 40 years of active leadership in the pro-life movement.
• Joe has always been active in demanding social justice… In the spring of 1965 he marched with Martin Luther King, Jr. in Montgomery, Alabama. It was a natural jump from speaking out for the civil rights of disenfranchised African-Americans to defending the right to life of unborn children who cannot speak for themselves. King’s organization, the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, stood by Scheidler in his legal battles to protect the lives of children in the womb.
• The “Godfather” of the pro-life movement was victorious in the Supreme Court—twice… After 28 years of legal battles, Joe won the class action RICO case NOW v. Scheidler that singled him out as a primary enemy of abortion. The RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations) laws were originally designed to address organized crime. No mobster, “Godfather” Joe won lopsided victories at the Supreme Court in both 2003 (8-1) and 2006 (8-0), and was finally vindicated once and for all in 2014 by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
• A search for Joe’s name on the pro-abortion National Organization for Women website yields pages and pages of results… He is the pro-life advocate that abortion supporters can’t quit talking about.
• Joe is a pioneer in the controversial tactic of displaying images of abortion victims in the public square… His Pro-Life Action League continues to conduct Face The Truth tours across the nation, eliciting strong reactions from supporters and opponents alike.
• Joe was among the first to advocate “sidewalk counseling” outside abortion clinics… For the countless thousands of unborn babies saved through this compassionate pro-life outreach, Roe v. Wade has effectively been overturned. Sidewalk counselors inform women about the risks of abortion, offer them an opportunity to talk through their feelings, and direct them to free help at pro-life pregnancy centers.
• Providing a forum for abortion industry whistleblowers was another first for Joe… Since 1987, Joe has been hosting conferences at which former abortion clinic doctors, nurses, and other staff tell the shocking story of what it’s really like inside the abortion business—and what led them to renounce the killing of unborn children.
• Joe knows how to work in the trenches… He’s never sought out personal publicity or served as a figurehead. Joe has joyfully worked side by side with people in all sectors of the pro-life battle and is quick to credit others for their achievements.
• This is not a phase, a gig, or a cause célèbre for Joe… His commitment to the defense of life stems from his deep religious faith. His many years studying theology and serving as the pro-life movement’s spiritual “Godfather” have helped Joe understand the far-reaching moral issues involved in abortion. He is deeply concerned for all who have been impacted by the legally sanctioned destruction of over 59 million unborn babies.
• He IS Joe Scheidler, the “Godfather of the Pro-Life Movement.” You’ll find the official bio of Joseph M. Scheidler, National Director of the Pro-Life Action League, at https://prolifeaction.org/joe/.
About the Pro-Life Action League
The Pro-Life Action League was founded by Joe Scheidler in 1980 with the aim of saving babies from abortion through direct action. Not content to await a political or judicial solution to abortion, the League seeks to stop the killing of unborn children right now through all available peaceful means, including public protest, sidewalk counseling, education, youth outreach, and national leadership. Visit prolifeaction.org to learn more.